did 19 year old Picasso paint a portrait of Iwan Rheon??
it IS just about the music. That is the entire point of the helmets. Daft Punk are faceless because they believe that fame is often associated with a face. When this happens, the music loses value and the person gains value. They wear helmets to remain faceless so that the public can focus on the music and not how cute they may or may not be.
Those who don’t get that don’t understand Daft Punk one bit.
reasons Steven Colbert will aways be my favorite news anchor
Before my parents were married, they would exchange love letters. Sometimes in the form of enveloped letters or through warm words written on the backs of photographs. My parents’ correspondence spanned over 6 years, starting from the year 1990, and ending a few years after my birth.
I found their letters a few years ago, dumped in an old box in our garage. And though my parents insisted that I throw them away, I kept them. As you can see, I’ve filed every letter and photograph into a small cardboard box and I’ve even organized them by year.
You’re probably wondering why I’m telling you all of this. So, I’ll get to the point.
Today, my parents had a huge falling out. A huge one. A fight full of screaming, throwing heavy objects, hurtful words and black rage that sliced through our home like a jagged knife. They ended their argument with the words I hate you and I don’t want to be with you anymore.
At this point, I took my little brother and sister out of the house and took them to the park where we hung out until our dad came and picked us up. We then spent the rest of the day avoiding home.
But, of course, we eventually ran out of places to hide and had to return. The fighting began again. Overflowing with pitch black anger and hatred. It went on and on, and though I tried to calm things down, my words were tossed aside. At the end of my rope, I went to my trunk and pulled out the box of love letters that I had kept all these years and dumped the letters all over the kitchen table.
The fighting gradually gave in to silence.
Finally, my dad reached over and picked up a stack of the letters.
"You kept these?"
He began taking some of the letters out of their envelopes and reading through them. Eventually, my mom started reading them, too. The silence was finally lifted when my dad started chuckling.
"I can’t believe you kept them."
I didn’t say anything then. They read their letters for a while longer before we re-filed them into the box, and I rushed upstairs to type out this story for you.
I guess what I wanted to say, is that it’s easy to forget things. Like how you fell in love with your husband, the times you enjoyed with your best friends, and the things that made you happy. It’s easy to dismiss those little things as insignificant as the years go by and to go on in life thinking that they don’t matter anymore. But sometimes, holding onto those things isn’t such a waste, after all.
Sometimes a little reminder is all you need.
Kinda teared up a bit. I understood the last picture too 😭
my favorite post on here.
"hey these are pretty motivationa- oh… helvetica.."
god damn it. I watched an hour and a half documentary on the font helvetica.(if for some fucking reason you wanna watch it, it’s called Helvetica. (duh)) i dont wanna use that goddamn font again just out of protest for having to sit through that motherfucking documentary. I’m still unclear as to the purpose of that lecture/film, I could have learnt more from a wikipedia article.
if you take a media course, i dont mean to take anything away from you personally nor your work, but the media module/dept at my uni is a fucking bag of wank.
do you guys remember that one post about how men feel entitled to take up so much space and women have to deal with a lot less?
This is actually a documented thing. You always see men on the subway or tube or whatever using both armrests while women sit with their arms hunched together into their laps. That’s why I always make a point to take up at least one if not both armrests of the tube so men can be uncomfortable for once.
^ again, for all the people telling me posting this picture is complaining too much.
In my college classes (and high school too) guys were always stretching, sticking fists and elbows in my face, leaning their heads back over my desk, over my work, spreading their legs out, kicking my bag with their dirty shoes. And let’s not pretend they were in other guys’ space as much as they were in women’s.
It’s so true, this happens to me every day on the train. Same with the walking thing, women will weave out of the way whereas men just walk straight and plow down anything in their path. I always end up playing chicken with men on the sidewalk now, because I refuse to move out of their way.
I love playing chicken with dudes who hog the sidewalk. BODY CHECK! Fucking assholes.
“NOT ALL MEN ARE LIKE THIS!” FUCK OFF.
“AS A MAN, I THINK THAT…” FUCK OFF.
Men always have the same defensive bullshit to spout every time they get called out on their shit. AND IT IS BORING. They remind me of those toys where you pull a string an they have like 5 phrases they can say. Over and over and over.
same here with playing chicken, its hilarious sometimes because they get this flash of realization in their eyes that says ‘holy shit, she’s NOT going to move/??? what do????’ because THEY ARE SO USED TO EVERYONE MOVING FOR THEM
when i was younger my grandpa drew this on a piece of paper,
and he asked me how i, as the red circle, would get around the two people (black circles) if i was walking down the street.
so of course i came back with
moving out of the way for them as i walked.
he asked me if i thought men would do the same and, at the time, i did because i thought it was just common courtesy. but he told me that men would barrel straight through without giving a shit and that i should do the exact same. because i was the one walking and they were the ones in the way. so that’s exactly what i do.
i find this really fascinating because this actually what defines so-called masculine and feminine traits and gestures. the whole limp-wrist thing? that’s someone decreasing the amount of space they take up by not extending their arm fully. same with crossing one’s legs, how it’s considered more masculine to swing your shoulders when you walk creating a wider gait instead of your hips, how someone who holds their elbows tightly into their torso instead of letting them fall more loosely at their sides is considered feminine.
taking up space is not just a frequent habit of males in our culture, its actually how society thinks masculinity is supposed to be expressed.
So I read this the other day and seeing as I am one of very few girls in an all boys school, I decided I would try walking through the corridor without moving aside for any one. I hadn’t gone ten steps before a boy who was at least 3 years younger than me charged square into me because he was so expectant that I would move out his way
AS A MAN, I THINK THAT this is true and I have never seen any evidence against it. Though I DO fairly often get Dudes trying to Commandeer My Space, so I’m not sure that part is always aimed at women—but the walking part is, in my experience.
I was observing the differences between how the guys and girls at my school hold themselves, and one of the biggest things I noticed was that the girls were chivalrous (holding doors, letting people pass), and leaned sideways or at odd angles to the wall, as if unsure of themselves and their right to do that.
the guys almost never did that, didn’t cross their ankles to take up less space, and kept their backs and shoulders straight against the wall.
Napkin Notes by Garth Callaghan
A 44-year-old father with terminal cancer writes 826 notes on napkins to pack with his daughter’s lunches for everyday she has class, through high school.
The answer is NO.
The “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli …” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”
this bullshit fills me with a very specific kind of rage. so, TIME TO DEBUNK!
- that meal from mcdonalds takes virtually no time to acquire AND is available almost anywhere.
- the second meal? that “salad” is lettuce … with nothing else, not even dressing unless its just olive oil or some milk i guess? gross.
- also thats the price of each serving, not an entire loaf of bread, a bottle of olive oil, etc. that stuff adds up which means you have to have a lot of money at one time to buy it all.
- that meal probably took an hour and a half to make, which is a long fucking time when you work multiple jobs or are caring for a lot of people or dont have help! seriously, if you are a single parent of three who works, is spending an hour and a half every night preparing a meal a likely option?
- same with beans and rice! also, you know whats a fucking bummer? eating beans and rice every night because you are poor. ask any person who has done it and they will tell you (you can start with me).
- there is a “nutrition” argument here that lacks a follow up: poor people are more likely to be doing physical labor and need more than 571 calories per meal.
- you know who is less likely to know how to bake or prepare a chicken? people without access to the internet, or libraries, or who werent taught how to by their parents because their parents worked all the time. access to healthy foods is a classist issue and classism is cyclical, you fucking morons.
- seriously, these sorts of infographics make me want to fucking flip tables. do you know why people don’t eat more fresh fruits and vegetables? because fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, because they take a long time to prepare, because they dont live near a grocery store that has a decent produce section, because they dont have reliable transportation to get groceries to and from the grocery store, because they dont have the energy to plan all of the shit that is involved in making healthy, intentional, filling, balanced meals. basically: poor people get fucked, and then we get BLAMED for being lazy.
- eating “healthy”, aka access to fresh fruits and vegetables, is a privilege, first, foremost, always. so fuck you new york times and your ignorant goddamn infographic.
- there are SYSTEMATIC REASONS that we do not have equal access to fresh fruits and vegetables. they are very REAL problems. besides, you know, systematic poverty in america, the total mis-distribution of farm subsidies is a perfect place to start. read about that, then either get bent or start working on the actual problem.
~lol the system is fucked up and classist so i literally have no choice in life but to eat mcdonalds~
Wow shut the fuck up. All I see are excuses and then shifting the blame of your laziness to some political agenda.
1. So fucking what? A McDonalds/fast food joint is your ONLY CHOICE of food? Bullshit.
2. Do you not have ANY condiments in your fridge? This isn’t a grocery list. This is assuming you at least have the fucking basics in your house. If not, stock up on a few condiments every paycheck. A 5 dollar bottle of balsamic vinegar will last you weeks.
3. Again, this list is assuming you at least have the basics in your house. Invest your money in bulk food. You’re a fucking adult. Buy a loaf of bread (which is like 3 fucking dollars), buy a bottle of olive oil. How is olive oil expensive? You buy it once a fucking month, you’re not buying it with every fucking meal (I’ve been milking mine for close to 3 months).
4. With the exception of the chicken, you could make those meals in twenty fucking minutes. That’s about the amount of time it would take you to go out, go through the drive through at McDonalds and get home. Again, bullshit excuses. It doesn’t take an hour and a half to make a damn salad or rice or sauté up some vegetables. Bullshit excuses.
5. Again, it’s painfully easy to make many meals with basic ingredients. Bread, milk, eggs and rice. Fucking staples of the diet. You should at least be buying bread milk and eggs every week and try to throw some greens in there. It will cost you less than 10 dollars a week to keep bread milk and eggs. (If you’re vegan you’re fucked.) Also, it’s very easy to make a variety of delicious meals with those staples when you have condiments and spices. So again, excuses. You’re not a hobo living under a bridge confined to eating beans in a can.
6. Carbs. Need extra calories and fuel? Stock up on starchy foods like bread, potatoes and rice. Boom. No excuses and those items are cheap and easy to make.
7. Seriously? Your argument here is you don’t know how to fucking cook a chicken? Here’s how you cook a chicken: heat it up until there’s no pink inside. How you heat it up is up to you. There, done. Moving on from that strawman.
8.Fruits and vegetables are expensive? A bag of apples is SIX FUCKING DOLLARS. Fruits and vegetables take too long to prepare? THEY’RE READY TO FUCKING EAT. YOU LITERALLY DON’T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING. Also WOW WHAT A FUCKING STRAWMAN. So a hypothetical poor person isn’t close to a hypothetical grocery store and hypothetically doesn’t have sufficient transportation to get to said grocery store AND that hypothetical grocery store has a shitty selection of produce? Insufficient argument. Reeks of excuses. Moving on.
9. Yes people are so privileged for eating apples and salad. You are oppressed and victimized for eating McDonalds.
10. I have debunked many, if not ALL of your points. Don’t blame your fucking laziness and obsession with excuses on some sort of systematic classism.
I’ve been poor. Wanna know what we ate when we were poor? Fucking apples, rice, bread, eggs. We didn’t have the “privilege” to go out and eat. We cooked at home. I learned to cook with what I had. “Boo hoo that stuff tastes gross”. There’s the root of your problem. You just want salty “yummy food” and you’re too fucking lazy to want to try and eat healthy. But of course you’re not going to admit that so you blame a problematic system? Laziness and excuses. That’s all this is.
One day, i’m going to volunteer… just like you did…
Sums up both the American justice system’s attitude and the American media’s priorities.
This is exactly why I will never give American Apparel a single penny.
Not only does the founder have a history of raping female employees (some of them teens), masturbating in front of female reporters, harassing female employees, promoting sexism, and promoting pedophilia, but it seems they’ve now gone to straight-up advertising with pornography which appear to be creeper shots.
The above is an actual advertisement they posted on their tumblr page.
I had to blur it out because that is not even remotely SFW.
The original link is posted in the source. I don’t recommend you click it.
American Apparel needs to be held accountable for their crimes against women, and particularly the founder, needs to be put in prison for rape and pedophilia, among other things.
These bastards will never get any of my money.
Thank you for this. Their adds are disgusting. Smh
yup that’s a butthole
And then you realize that Forrest knows about his condition all along and your heart breaks a little.
If I ever have children, I’m going to tell this to them every day
*weeps softly into the ether*